Open-source software with license allowing for reuse
- Software is usually generally copyrighted,
independent of its functionality.
- Licenses transfer rights to use the software
from the author to a (potential) user.
- Unclear licensing is a huge problem
for using and developing software.
- There are a number of licenses for (free) software
that were developed particulary for open source.
- Every program with (potentially) more than one user\\ should have a clear license.
Which tool to use
Note: This section is clearly opinionated. There are definitely other tools available. However, this is the tool the author recommends from own experience.
Open Source Licenses
Overview of different open source licenses from the open source initiative